The 8th Annual Wine Spectator & Cigar Aficionado Els for Autism Pro-am tournament offered a fun challenge for its pro golfers and a unique experience for its amateur golfers. The tournament, co-sponsored by SAP and Kettle One, supports the Els for Autism Foundation, which was established in 2009 by PGA Tour golfer Ernie Els and his wife shortly after their son was diagnosed with autism. As part of its mission, Els for Autism runs a charter school that serves 300 students in Palm Beach County and provides research opportunities to help others with autism. Tournament sponsors turned to SCA to provide prize coverage on the $1 Million hole.
- Provide amateur golfers with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to watch some of the world’s best golfers attempt a hole-in-one.
- Raise additional funds for the foundation.
- Host the tournament at a course with a 19th hole that can be designated the $1 Million Hole.
- Invite each of the 21 professional golfers to attempt a hole-in-one on the 19th hole at the end of the tournament.
- Award $1 Million to the Els for Autism Foundation if a golfer is successful.
- Pro golfer Rickie Fowler, the 17th professional to attempt the shot, hit a hole-in-one using someone else’s clubs.
- The Foundation received a $1 Million bonus on top of the $825,000 raised this year, which will be used to begin the second phase of the Els Center for Excellence.