Angler James Watson qualified to compete in the Bassmaster Classic, so his team created a contest to keep excitement high among his fan base. They worked with SCA to create a multi-layer promotion – utilizing PrizeLink and prize coverage – offering different prize levels based upon Watson winning the Classic.
- Generate excitement surrounding Watson’s participation in the Bassmaster Classic.
- Offer an incentive encouraging Watson to win.
- Build a database of supporters.
- Ask fans to register for the contest and enter their estimate of the combined weight of Watson’s total catch at the Bassmaster Classic.
- Award prizes if Watson wins the Bassmaster Classic: $50,000 to Watson if he wins, $50,000 to a fan if one of them guesses the exact weight of Watson’s winning catch, and $5,000 to a randomly selected fan if none of them guess Watson’s winning weight.
- Watson did not win, but he did garner interest from a large fan base and saw around 3,000 people register for his contest.
- “We were very pleased with the promotion,” said a representative for Watson. “Fans
really enjoyed the promotion, and we were appreciative of the help SCA provided running
the online contest.”