The San Antonio Scorpions, a member of the North American Soccer League (NASL), used a $50,000 incentive bonus as a way to maximize its budgeted salary line during player negotiations.
- Maximize the salary line.
- Provide an incentive for players.
- Offer players in contract negotiations a choice of a smaller salary but bigger bonus or a bigger salary but smaller bonus at the end of the year.
- Secure prize coverage for a $50,000 bonus through SCA to be awarded if the team wins
the championship game.
- The #2 seeded Scorpions beat the Ft Lauderdale Strikers in the championship game.
- The team was thrilled to celebrate its first championship, and “the players were definitely happy to get their bonuses,” said the representative. “I’ve worked with SCA for the past 15 years, some of those in hockey, and it was exciting to have a big win!”